Friday 13 February 2015

Photography: Masks

The Guardian had asked us to do a photography assessment with the subject Youth Culture.
Youth culture can really be about anything related to shared likes, hobbies, interests and more between the youth.
The Youth Culture theme I choose to photograph was masks as they have many meanings like:
Masquerade/Mystery
Romance/Opera
Halloween/New Identity
Youth/Fashion

I experimented with the masks on their own first with a few props and at different angles to show off the different sides of the masks with their elegant designs. I tried to give it a romantic/mystery theme to the masks with a star print fabric piece for the masks to lay on with fake fabric roses of two different colours and sizes to be placed with the masks.
Also changing the masks positions and doing close ups at times continued to bring good results as well as replacing the rose props to see how many looks I could get from them.
To my believe with the masks on their own at first with the right props it was successful and I love some of the results from the mask photos.
Here are a couple photos for you to see:







 Using a digital camera gave me choices as I could upload them on the computer and view them in HD so I can see if the focus point worked and I would have clear images. They were taken in the college studio with a black paper background, I though black would be better suited for the masks as it in my opinion just highlights the masks more professionally making them more stronger then a white background would and it helped blend the fabric I used. I tried not to only have the masks fully in central composition so I tried photographing them so some would be a little higher or more to the side then just keeping in it the middle all the time and it gave great results showing off their angles in different compositions. There is a limited colour palette I used by combining the black'n'white palette with only a dash of red with the mini fake roses which give a great contrast to the photos.
I am very pleased with the results and the photos are what I wanted so to me they are a success.
There will be more mask photos but with models, they will be on a page of their own.
Photography: Masks 2 with Models.

No comments:

Post a Comment